As soon as it starts to get colder out, it becomes harder to leave your house and it suddenly becomes easier to eat all the things. The months between Thanksgiving (and by Thanksgiving I mean the Canadian one in October) and New Years seem to be a never ending parade of adorable mini chocolate bars, baked goods and egg nog. Fuck, I love egg nog. Temptation is everywhere and it takes a lot of self control to not eat everything in site because festive food is so dang delicious. This time of year is especially scary for people new to fitness or people trying to lose weight. I have a few tips to keep you falling in love with fitness and on track for success this holiday season.
- Meal Prep – I’m pretty sure I over use this tip – but it works. If you have healthy food prepared and ready to eat it is so much easier to say no. I have been known to bring my own food to friend’s houses, work parties and family gatherings.
- Visualize Your Goals – I find it helpful to take a moment and visualize my goals before going somewhere that I know will be filled with temptation. If you have your goals on your mind your going to be more motivated to stay on track.
- Eat Before You Go – If you show up to a party feeling full and satisfied you are going to be less tempted to eat all the things.
- BYOB – Bring your own beverages. If your weakness is alcohol or if you don’t want to feel left out by just sipping on plain water, pack some sparkling water (La Croix is my favourite, Zevia or Kombucha, the bubbly from these beverages make you feel like you’re sipping on something special.
- Stick to Your Workouts – Even if you go a little off track with your eating if you stay on track with your workouts you should be able to maintain and not gain during the holidays and maintaining is important.
- Treat Yourself – Don’t deprive yourself because you’ll probably be miserable. If you wanna let loose then let loose friends.
Good luck out there!