I think one of the questions I get asked most often is “What protein powder should I buy?” -literally if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me this I would be set for life. As a personal trainer I am not allowed to recommend any powders or supplements (for legal reasons) but I can recommend what to look for if you are considering adding a protein powder to your diet. I’m a huge fan of getting my protein from actual food. But protein powder can be a great addition to the diet especially if you’re looking to fight off cravings, add calories in your diet, or looking for quick protein when you’re on the go. If you choose to use protein powder there are a few things to look for to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
- Type of Protein
- If you have problems digesting dairy then for the love of God, do not buy a whey based protein powder. I’ve heard too many people say they have issues with dairy and then chug a whey based shake. Whey is dairy y’all. Try a protein that is plant based or made from animal protein like beef.
- Plant based proteins often have a grainy texture to them, you’ve been warned, I’m still on the hunt for a non grainy plant based protein so if you know of a good one, holla at me.
- If you buy anything that’s in a package you should 100% read the label. A lot of powders are loaded with fillers and sugars. Natural sugars are fine, aspartame is not. Avoid ingredients like: corn maltodextrin, artificial flavour, carrageenan, sucralose (stevia is a much better alternative), and any other ingredient that you don’t understand.
- Added Benefits
- If you’re looking at a protein powder just to fight off cravings then this section probably won’t appeal to you. If you are someone who uses protein powder on the daily I suggest you look for a powder that has some added greens like spirulina or chlorella.
- Test Drive
- Don’t be afraid to test out a lot of protein powders, it took me a long time to find ones that I could drink and not feel bloated or sick after. Most health stores will have sample packets that you can buy to test out before committing to the entire tub which is amazing.